Evaluation of the effects of music therapy derived from TCM’s five elements on post-stroke depression patients
Sunday, March 18, 2018 by Jhoanna Robinson
A new study that was published in the Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine seeks to analyze the effectiveness of five-phase music therapy in patients suffering from depression after having ischemic stroke.
- The study was conducted by grouping a total of 92 patients with post-stroke depression into the control group (32 cases), treatment group A (30 cases), and treatment group B (30 cases).
- Participants in each group were treated for cerebral infarction, which is a condition that results from a blockage in the arteries that transport blood and oxygen to the brain.
- The control group was given 50 milligrams of oral sertraline hydrochloride every day.
- Groups A and B, on the other hand, were given a needling treatment at Baihui (GV 20) plus acupoint injection at Yanglingquan (GB 34) each day.
- Treatment group B was also given music therapy based on the five phases of traditional Chinese medicine twice daily.
- The treatments were given for five days per treatment cycle for three cycles, with a one-day interval for each treatment cycle.
- The researchers measured Hamilton’s depression scale (HAMD-17) and the activities of daily life (ADL) score for all three groups preceding and following the treatments. The side effects were identified via the Treatment Emergent Symptom Scale.
- The HAMD-17 score markedly dipped in all three groups after they were administered the various treatments, with the post-treatment reduction significantly higher in treatment group B than in treatment group A (P < 0.01).
- The ADL score was markedly heightened in all three groups, with the post-treatment surge higher in treatment group B than in treatment group A (P < 0.01).
- The Treatment Emergent Symptom Scale score was greatest in the control group, lowest in group B, and was slightly different among the three groups (P < 0.01).
The researchers concluded that five-phase music therapy, coupled with acupoint needling and acupoint injection can alleviate the symptoms in patients with post-stroke depression.
Lin Facai, Huang Dehong, He Nana, Gu Yihuang, Wu Yunchuan. EFFECT OF MUSIC THERAPY DERIVED FROM THE FIVE ELEMENTS IN TRADITIONAL CHINESE MEDICINE ON POST-STROKE DEPRESSION. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0254-6272(17)30322-9